Sunday, April 23, 2023

 A while back I started a posting series to share stories and photos of my guitars. As i expected it didn’t keep going. But maybe I’m trying again 

First up: Gibson Les Paul Studio 2012 Alpine White.  

Many years ago. My first nice guutar was a 1979 Gibson The SG. Really loved that guitar. It was stolen. Years later when Ebay was realiy thriving. I tried to replace it and got a 1980 Firebrand Les Paul. Very similar. Same walnut body, same ebony fretboard, same Gibson T-top pickups, same Grover tuners.  You would think I would have loved it. But I never really bonded with it. Because it was not the SG. To keep this guitar I wanted to modify it. But since it was over 30 years old and considered vintage. Any modifications to it would have lowered its value (which wasn’t much at the time) but a good friend talked me out of it.  So … I will just buy a new one and sell the old one.  I decided to get an alpine white Les Paul studio which had ebony fretboard.  Something I could mod if I wanted

To although I didn’t realize that I would like I did here. I ordered it from musicians friend (guitar center website version). It was back ordered and remained back ordered for many months. Which was due to the US DOJ raiding Gibson and taking a bunch of their wood. Including the ebony that was supposed to make this guitars fretboard. This one has Granadillo the pickups were 490r/498t which you will read about on a future post about a different guitar where they reside now.  

Not a bad guitar at all. Of course I was disappointed to have granadillo for the fretboard but. It isn’t that bad. Ended up getting it from a different company than musicians friend that price matched and had one in stock.  

After having it for 6 years I decided I wanted to make make it more white and get new pickups. So I got a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set with white Bobbins those also currently reside in a different guitar which will be a future episode. 

White pickguard 

White pickup rings 

White knobs 

White switch tip 

Then not long after I got a set of Brandonwound pickups T-Top JP#1 set and that’s what’s currently on it now.  I used this for my wiring learning and rewired it three times before I ended up buying a Jimmy Page wiring kit. To get the push pull knobs for coil splitting and out of phase/parallel wiring. Which I got out of my system 

One of these days I am going to paint the little ding i out into it with some white paint and nitrocellulose lacquer fill.  

The guitar sounds great with the exception of one of my amplifiers. Which I did get it a lot better. But Hughes and Kettner GM40 deluxe amp with the stock chinese tubes just didn’t get along with this guitar. 

However with Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 it sounds incredible into either the Jensen 15” vintage alnico or the 4x12 with WGS Veteran30 and ET65 


See this post on my musician Facebook page 

https://www.facebook.com/100063456553073/posts/pfbid02iLxPMVpmvGRQoTgk8q9mqLn3jHv6dPzuZBii96GwjgAbVqbrg2cXs5HWs158YofWl/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home