Sunday, April 19, 2009

Memory

Having a Great Memory may seem like a blessing, and it certainly is.
However at times I have considered it a curse.

Certainly during school it was a great blessing, to sit in a lecture and remember all that is said helped get to easily learn and get decent grades. Also can remember a few friends asking me things that happened or where things were because I always vividly knew every little detail of all that happened or was in the room.

On the flip side remembering practically every event since one was 4 years old has caused me to carry memories with me that i prefer not to have. The old couple at the baseball game sharing a beer, the deaths of close ones, the big bumble bee that was attacking me, which to this day my beephobia remains, The phone numbers from high school that i still remember, the admonishments i received from grandfathers, grandmothers and parents, which changed my life, the shyness of my youth.

Although I am gaining control of my internal narrator and the thoughts it generates, the memories are still there.

Being over 40 has diminished my memory somewhat, however it is still strong, I have found myself forgetting a few little details here and there.

Would I change anything........ NO Way. I think the benefits of a great memory outweigh the problems it has caused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home